Senior Legal Counsel
The Senior Legal Counsel of Ingenico ePayments will be mainly advising on Acquiring and Payment Partners contracting. Acquirers are banks or financial institutions that processes credit or debit card payments on behalf of our clients (the merchants). Payment Partners are financial institutions, which offer a payment product, like iDEAL in the Netherlands.
You will be hands-on and you will specialize yourself on the Acquiring and Payment Partner landscape. The role involves navigating major Acquirer relationships, ultimately helping them to drive more value-added revenues with existing and new merchant relationships. You will also work closely with Bambora our Acquiring affiliate in Stockholm in order to further expand our business globally. In order to do so you will closely liaise with external law firms in order to understand local legal requirements and legal risks globally.
You will build close working relationships with senior stakeholders in the relevant Product, Technology and Sales teams internally and with the acquiring banks and payments partners.
Working with the Senior Management team you will build a viable commercial strategy, which will include; negotiating commercial agreements with the Bank Acquirers and Payments Partners.
A deep understanding or a strong intrinsic incentive to learn on payments, acquiring and merchants is a must, you will be expected to design/negotiate commercial agreements with the bank acquirers and payments partners & assist on creating, developing and implementing business cases to drive business growth.
Next to these topics described above you will be also take care of other responsibilities which are being handled by the legal team.
A career at Ingenico means working in a cultural diverse, performance stimulating environment. You will be part of a Fintech company that aims to be an innovative, inspiring and challenging place to work. We believe that a successful career includes a variety of experiences that take you out of your comfort zone and offer you an opportunity to grow.
Amongst other we offer:
· Hands on and empowered working environment
· A global network with professionals in the payment sector whom are ready to support you.
· Opportunities for personal and professional career development
· Great working environment, great team spirit and competitive salary and benefits.
Deliverables / Tasks
· Drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex contracts with some of the biggest companies worldwide;
· Provide expert legal support to the teams across the globe;
· Advising internal stakeholders on legal risks and proposing mitigating actions;
· Contributing to streamlining internal processes and procedures in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations;
· Creating, maintaining, and updating internal (legal) policies and implementing these effectively and consistently;
· Helping to develop and build the broader, non-legal team’s appreciation of applicable laws and regulations in a creative and engaging way, encouraging a culture of compliance and responsibility.
· To keep track of regulatory and industry standards and requirements through legal research and assessment of relevant notices and updates;
· To keep the relevant policies and procedures up-to-date with regard to regulatory obligations and requirements from card acquirers and other suppliers;
· To continually seek out opportunities necessary to facilitate in-depth understanding of industry compliance obligations (regulatory and industry compliance);
· Power of persuasion – Strong stakeholder management skills (internal & external)
· Ability to handle stressful situations and manage competing priorities
· Problem-solving ability
· Critical thinking skills
· Consistent attention to details / accuracy
· Team player, but able to work independently at the same time
· Interpersonal intelligence
· Pro-active and results-oriented
· Reliable and flexible, willing to go the extra mile to get a job done, highly motivated
· Proven excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Dutch.
· University degree in Dutch law or equivalent
· At least 5-10 years of experience in a legal counsel role in a multi-cultural, global business environment or law firm in the financial services industry.
· Strong knowledge of relevant supervision laws a.o. PSD2 and Wft.
· Research experience involving cross-border regulatory requirements or other multi-jurisdictional obligations. Research experience demonstrating knowledge of the payment or financial services industries a plus. Knowledge of card scheme rules is preferred
· Project management skills (change management) a strong plus
· Interest in e-Commerce and/or online transfers or transactions.
· This is a permanent position and preferably full time.
· Based in Hoofddorp, the Netherlands.
· The Senior Legal Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel. The Legal team is part of the broader Legal, Compliance and Data Protection Department, which consists of professionals who are tasked with mitigating company legal & compliance risks and raising awareness of legal & compliance obligations.